The US is withdrawing its troops from Syria, according to media reports.

Translation. Region: Russian Federation –

Source: People's Republic of China in Russian – People's Republic of China in Russian –

An important disclaimer is at the bottom of this article.

Source: People's Republic of China – State Council News

WASHINGTON, Feb. 18 (Xinhua) — The United States is withdrawing about 1,000 troops from Syria, the Wall Street Journal reported Wednesday, citing three American officials.

The Pentagon reportedly withdrew all American troops from the al-Shaddadi base in northeastern Syria and the al-Tanf base, a strategic outpost on the border of Syria, Jordan and Iraq, earlier this month.

All remaining American forces will leave Syria within the next two months, ending a decade-long US military presence in the country that the White House has deemed no longer necessary, two US officials told the newspaper.

They said the troop withdrawal was not related to the current massive US military buildup in the Middle East to potentially launch attacks on Iran.

U.S. troops were first deployed to Syria in 2014 under then-President Barack Obama to combat the Islamic State amid the country's civil war. During Donald Trump's first term, the number of American troops in Syria was gradually reduced.

Please note: This information is raw content obtained directly from the source. It represents an accurate account of the source's assertions and does not necessarily reflect the position of MIL-OSI or its clients.