Translation. Region: Russian Federation –
Source: United Nations – United Nations –
An important disclaimer is at the bottom of this article.
February 9, 2026 Refugees and migrants
Fifty-three migrants, including two infants, are dead or missing after a large inflatable boat capsized off the coast of Libya, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) reported on Monday.
The vessel capsized in icy waters in the central Mediterranean Sea north of the coastal town of Zuwara on Friday, according to the UN agency.
This is just the most recent tragic episode.in a series of incidents, involving displaced people who are vulnerable and often become victims of abuse and human trafficking. Smuggling networks have flourished in Libya since the overthrow of Muammar Gaddafi in 2011, the IOM notes.
The organization reported that Libyan authorities rescued two women from Nigeria after the sinking; one said her husband had drowned, and the other said both her babies had died. They said the boat was carrying migrants and refugees from several African countries. The boat departed Zawiya around 11:00 PM on Thursday. About six hours later, it began taking on water, after which it capsized.
While it's still unknown where exactly the people were headed, many boats carrying migrants and refugees leaving Libya are heading for the Italian island of Lampedusa, located approximately 350 kilometers from Zawiya. As UN humanitarian agencies have repeatedly warned, the open rubber boats often used to make the journey are completely unsuitable for such a journey.
According to the IOM, at least 375 people died or went missing in the central Mediterranean in January alone. The agency emphasized that many other tragedies likely remain unknown to authorities and international organizations.
Smugglers and human traffickers continue to prey on desperate people, sending them to sea on unseaworthy vessels, the IOM noted, reiterating its call for closer international cooperation and the creation of safe and legal migration routes.
Since the beginning of the year, according to the agency, 781 migrants have been "intercepted and returned" to Libya, 244 of them last week alone. Over the entire past year, there were 27,116 such people, with 1,314 reported dead or missing.
Underground detention centers
"IOM does not consider Libya a safe port for migrants," the organization emphasized, citing the dangers they face. New mass graves and detention sites were recently discovered in the east of the country.
Following a government raid on an illegal detention centre in Ajdabiya, the IOM said its investigation found that victims were held captive and tortured to force their families to pay ransom.
In Kufra, authorities discovered an underground detention facility three meters below ground. A total of 221 migrants or refugees, including women, children, and a one-month-old infant, were released. "Initial information indicates that people were held there for extended periods in extremely inhumane conditions," the IOM stated.
Voluntary return
To assist displaced people, IOM organizes voluntary flights home. Last week, for example, one such flight was provided for Pakistani citizens in Tripoli. At the end of January, the agency also assisted 177 Nigerian migrants in returning home on another voluntary humanitarian flight.
In an effort to dismantle human trafficking networks and support victims, the agency works with national and regional authorities, strengthening cross-border cooperation.
Please note: This information is raw content obtained directly from the source. It represents an accurate account of the source's assertions and does not necessarily reflect the position of MIL-OSI or its clients.
