Guterres welcomed the resumption of talks between the US and Iran

Translation. Region: Russian Federation –

Source: United Nations – United Nations –

An important disclaimer is at the bottom of this article.

February 6, 2026 Peace and security

UN Secretary-General António Guterres on Friday welcomed the resumption of talks between Iran and the United States. The countries returned to dialogue after weeks of tensions over Iran's nuclear program and threats of a possible military strike by the United States.

According to media reports, indirect talks took place in Oman between delegations led by US Special Envoy for the Middle East Steve Witkoff and Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi.

This marked the first meeting between the two sides since June of last year, when the US and Israel launched airstrikes on Iranian nuclear facilities. The talks are taking place as the United States amasses forces off the coast of Iran, including a nuclear-powered aircraft carrier.

Reducing regional tensions

UN Deputy Spokesperson Farhan Haq said the Secretary-General expressed hope that the talks "will help reduce regional tensions and prevent a wider crisis."

Guterres also expressed gratitude to countries in the region for their efforts to facilitate the talks, in particular Oman for providing the venue.

"The Secretary-General consistently advocates for de-escalation and peaceful resolution of disputes in accordance with the UN Charter. All issues can and should be resolved through peaceful dialogue," Haq stated.

The need to investigate the deaths of protesters

The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) on Friday called for an investigation into reports of deaths and other violations during recent protests in Iran.

Demonstrations began in late December after shopkeepers in the capital, Tehran, took to the streets to express their discontent over the collapse of the national currency, soaring inflation and deteriorating living conditions.

Anti-government protests eventually spread across the country. Authorities suppressed them with brutal methods. The country's leadership released a list of the names of more than 2,900 people confirmed dead.

However, as OHCHR representative Tamin Al-Khitan told reporters in Geneva, according to data from other sources, the death toll is significantly higher.

Al-Khitan said it was extremely difficult to verify information for a number of reasons, including communications and internet outages.

Please note: This information is raw content obtained directly from the source. It represents an accurate account of the source's assertions and does not necessarily reflect the position of MIL-OSI or its clients.