UN High Commissioner: El Fasher tragedy could have been prevented

Translation. Region: Russian Federation –

Source: United Nations – United Nations –

An important disclaimer is at the bottom of this article.

February 9, 2026 Human rights

UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Türk stated that the events that unfolded in the Sudanese city of El Fasher last October were a avoidable disaster. Speaking to the Human Rights Council in Geneva, he emphasized the need to hold those responsible accountable and prevent a recurrence of such crimes.

"After 18 months of siege, starvation and bombing, the Rapid Reaction Force unleashed a wave of brutal violence that killed thousands of people in a matter of days and sent tens of thousands fleeing in fear," Türk recalled.

Sexual violence and abductions

According to the High Commissioner, during a recent trip to Sudan He personally met with the victims. His staff interviewed over 140 victims and witnesses of the violence. People spoke of mass killings, extrajudicial executions, sexual violence, torture, abductions, and enforced disappearances. The UN Human Rights Office (OHCHR) received evidence of attacks targeting non-Arabs, in particular members of the Zaghawa ethnic group.

Turk said sexual violence was systematically used as a weapon of war.

“During my visit, I met with survivors who gave consistent and heartbreaking accounts of gang rapes and other forms of sexual violence against women and girls,” he stressed.

According to him, militants also kidnapped fleeing people and demanded huge ransoms. Thousands remain missing. Many were likely killed, while others are believed to be held in inhumane conditions.

Probable war crimes

Last month, the International Criminal Court (ICC) informed the UN Security Council that attacks may have been committed in El Fasher. war crimes and crimes against humanityThe OHCHR's findings, as Türk noted, coincide with this assessment.

The High Commissioner recalled that for over a year, the UN Office had been warning of the risk of mass atrocities in besieged El Fasher. He said the threat was clear, but these warnings were ignored.

Türk emphasized that responsibility for the crimes committed "lies entirely with the Rapid Reaction Force and its allies and sponsors." At the same time, the OHCHR chief added, the international community must also act more decisively.

The High Commissioner expressed deep concern about the situation in Kordofan, where drone strikes continue and civilians are being killed. In just two weeks, according to the UN Office, approximately 90 civilians have been killed and more than 140 injured. Strikes have targeted a World Food Programme convoy, as well as markets, medical facilities, and residential areas in Southern and Northern Kordofan. According to Türk, civilians are at risk of extrajudicial executions, sexual violence, arbitrary detention, and loss of loved ones.

Call to action

Hate speech is becoming a catalyst for ethnic violence, the UN's top human rights defender warned. Local leaders are using dehumanizing rhetoric against entire communities to justify atrocities, mobilize fighters, and deepen divisions.

Türk called on states to exert pressure on parties to the conflict to comply with international law, cease attacks on civilians and infrastructure, and ensure the unimpeded delivery of humanitarian aid. He also reiterated his call for the expansion of the arms embargo to all of Sudan.

The High Commissioner stressed that despite the scale of the tragedy, hope remains.

"One thing became crystal clear to me during my visit to Sudan: the spirit of the struggle for peace, justice, and freedom is still alive," he said. "The Sudanese people hold the key to sustainable peace in their country, and they will prevail."

Please note: This information is raw content obtained directly from the source. It represents an accurate account of the source's assertions and does not necessarily reflect the position of MIL-OSI or its clients.